Lundbeck Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Additional OffersShow all
It is unsafe to consume alcohol with Flunaxol.
Flunaxol may be unsafe to use during pregnancy. Although there are limited studies in humans, animal studies have shown harmful effects on the developin... View More
Flunaxol is probably unsafe to use during breastfeeding. Limited human data suggests that the drug may pass into the breastmilk and harm the baby.
Flunaxol may decrease alertness, affect your vision or make you feel sleepy and dizzy. Do not drive if these symptoms occur.
There is limited information available on the use of Flunaxol in patients with kidney disease. Please consult your doctor. However, there have been repo... View More
Flunaxol should be used with caution in patients with liver disease. Dose adjustment of Flunaxol may be needed. Please consult your doctor.
Flunaxol is a prescription medicine used in the treatment of schizophrenia. It may also be used to treat depression and bipolar disorder. It alters the ... View More
Uses of Flunaxol
Side effects of Flunaxol
- Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
- Dryness in mouth
- Abnormality of voluntary movements
- Weight gain
- Increased prolactin level in blood
- Urinary retention
- Muscle stiffness
How to use Flunaxol
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. Flunaxol may be taken with... View More
How Flunaxol works
Flunaxol is a typical antipsychotic. It works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
- You have been prescribed Flunaxol for the treatment of schizophrenia.
- Take it at bedtime to avoid feeling sleepy during the day.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Flunaxol can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine as it can make drowsiness worse.
- Inform your doctor if you experience any abnormal movements, particularly of the face, lips, jaw and tongue, while taking this medicine.
- It may increase your weight, blood sugar and cholesterol. Eat healthy, exercise regularly and monitor your blood levels regularly.
- Don't stop taking Flunaxol without talking to your doctor first as it may cause worsening of symptoms.
Depression, Schizophrenia, Psychoses
May be taken with or without food.
Oral Psychoses Adult: Initially, 3-9 mg bid, adjusted according to response. Max: 18 mg daily. Elderly: Initial dose: ¼ or ½ of the usual initial do... View More
Hypersensitivity. Extremely excitable and overactive patients; mania; porphyria; coma; preexisting CNS depression; bone-marrow supression; phaeochromocy... View More
Mode of Action
Flupentixol is a thioxanthene antipsychotic that inhibits dopamine-mediated effects by blocking postsynaptic dopamine receptors in the CNS.
Patients with convulsive disorders; advanced hepatic, renal, CV or resp disease; tasks requiring mental alertness; elderly (especially with dementia), a... View More
Rigidity, tremors, restlessness, tardive dyskinesia, insomnia, dryness of mouth, wt gain, sexual dysfunction, galactorrhoea and menstrual disturbances. ... View More
Pregnancy Category Note
Pregnancy category: C Lactation: Drug enters breast milk; not recommended
May potentiate the adverse effects of drugs with antimuscarinic effects e.g. TCAs. Reduced efficacy of levodopa. Increases adverse extrapyramidal sympto... View More
Alternative brand for Flunaxol
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not... View More