Mankind Pharma Ltd
Additional OffersShow all
Uses of Acnestar Gel
Acnestar gel is used to treat bacterial infection and inflammation of skin such as acne, whiteheads, pimples and blackheads.
Contraindications of Acnestar Gel
- If you are allergic to clindamycin, nicotinamide or any other components of Acnestar gel.
- If you have a history of inflammatory bowel disease.
- If you have experienced diarrhoea upon antibiotic use.
Side effects of Acnestar Gel
- Skin irritation
- Dry Skin
- Oily skin
Precautions and Warnings of Acnestar Gel
Q:Can I use Acnestar gel during pregnancy?
A:Acnestar gel is applied to the skin and the quantities which might get absorbed from the skin is too little. The chances of any effect in pregnancy are rare. Still, this medicine should be used only under medical supervision as components of this medicine is known to be unsafe during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. In case you are prescribed with this medicine avoid using in larger skin areas for a prolonged duration.
Q:Can I use Acnestar gel while breastfeeding?
A:It should not be applied to the breast or areas near the breast of breastfeeding mothers as there can be chances of ingestion of this by a breastfed infant. Avoid using it on large areas of skin or for a prolonged period.
Q:Can I drive if I have applied Acnestar gel?
A:There is limited information about the effects of this medicine on driving, but as it is a topical preparation, it may not affect the driving ability or ability to handle machinery.
Q:Can I consume alcohol with Acnestar gel?
A:There is no direct interaction between alcohol and Acnestar gel. However, alcohol is known to worsen the infection and inflammation; it's better to avoid consuming alcohol when you are prescribed with this gel.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are allergic to any components of this gel or history of any allergic skin reaction.
- You are experiencing excessive dryness, irritation and peeling of skin.
- You have a history of inflammation of the colon or antibiotic-associated diarrhoea Avoid contact with eyes, mouth and nose.
Mode of Action of Acnestar Gel
How Does It Work?
- Acnestar gel works by the combined action of both its components - clindamycin and nicotinamide.
- Clindamycin is an antibiotic agent and works by inhibiting the growth and multiplication of acne-causing bacteria.
- Nicotinamide is acting as an anti-inflammatory agent and works by reducing the swelling and redness associated with acne. It also regulates the amount of acne-causing oil being produced by the oil gla...Read more
Directions for Use of Acnestar Gel
- Use the Acnestar gel as directed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Wash your face before application of this gel with a mild cleanser.
- Apply a small quantity of this gel on the skin surface free from cuts & wounds.
- Avoid touching the tip of the container directly to the infected area of the skin.
- Wash your hands before & after using this gel.
- In case your eyes come in contact with this gel rinse your eyes with clean water immediately.
Interactions of Acnestar Gel
Interactions with other medicines
- There is limited information available on the interaction of Acnestar gel with other medicines. However, as this gel contains clindamycin & nicotinamide, any interaction seen with these two components...Read more
- Acnestar gel is meant for local application on skin and thus is less likely to interact with other medicines taken orally. However, it may interact with other topically applied medicine. Discuss with ...Read more
- Be cautious if you are taking oral anticoagulants like Warfarin, Acenocoumarol and Fluindione as components of this medicine may interact with that. Regular monitoring of blood coagulation parameters ...Read more
Storage and disposal of Acnestar Gel
- Store this medicine in a cool and dry place, protected from direct sunlight, moisture and heat.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
- Do not use expired or damaged medicines.
- Discard any unused medicine properly. Do not flush in the toilet or throw it into the drain.
Dosage of Acnestar Gel
As Acnestar gel is meant for external application, cases of overdose are unlikely. However, upon accidental ingestion contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital. If you have overapp...Read more
Missed a Dose
If you have missed applying Acnestar gel, apply it as soon as possible. Do not overapply this medicine just to compensate for the missed dose.
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not... View More