General Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Additional OffersShow all
Perigen 5 may cause excessive drowsiness with alcohol.
Perigen 5 may be unsafe to use during pregnancy. Although there are limited studies in humans, animal studies have shown harmful effects on the developi... View More
Perigen 5 is probably unsafe to use during breastfeeding. Limited human data suggests that the drug may pass into the breastmilk and harm the baby. If P... View More
Perigen 5 may decrease alertness, affect your vision or make you feel sleepy and dizzy. Do not drive if these symptoms occur.
Perigen 5 is safe to use in patients with kidney disease. No dose adjustment of Perigen 5 is recommended. However, patients with severe kidney disease m... View More
Perigen 5 should be used with caution in patients with liver disease. Dose adjustment of Perigen 5 may be needed. Please consult your doctor.
Perigen 5 is a prescription medicine used in the treatment of schizophrenia (a mental disorder in which a person develops unreal thoughts and behavior).... View More
Uses of Perigen 5
Side effects of Perigen 5
- Abnormality of voluntary movements
- Dryness in mouth
- Increased prolactin level in blood
- Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
- Weight gain
How to use Perigen 5
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. Perigen 5 may be taken wit... View More
How Perigen 5 works
Perigen 5 is a typical antipsychotic. It works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
- Perigen 5 helps treat schizophrenia.
- It is less likely to cause weight gain as compared to other similar medicines.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Perigen 5 may cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine as it can cause increased dizziness.
- Inform your doctor if you experience any abnormal movements or have difficulty controlling movements.
- It may affect how your body regulates your temperature. Avoid getting dehydrated and drink plenty of fluids.
- Your doctor may check your heart function and level of electrolytes such as sodium and magnesium before you start treatment with this medicine and regul... View More
- Do not stop taking Perigen 5 without talking to your doctor first as it may cause worsening of symptoms.
Schizophrenia, Delirium, Hiccups, Acute psychosis, Hyperactivity, Aggression, Agitation and confusion, Tic disorders, Tourette syndrome, Chorea, Nausea ... View More
May be taken with or without food. May be taken w/ meals to minimise GI irritation.
Oral Psychoses Adult: 0.5-5 mg bid/tid, may increase up to 100 mg daily in severe or resistant cases. Usual maintenance: 3-10 mg daily. Tourette's... View More
<3 years: Safety and efficacy not established Psychosis/Sedation 3-12 years (15-40 kg): 0.25-0.5 mg/day PO divided q8-12hr initially; may be increas... View More
Severe toxic CNS depression; preexisting coma; Parkinson's disease; lactation.
Mode of Action
Haloperidol blocks postsynaptic dopamine D1 and D2 receptors in the mesolimbic system and decreases the release of hypothalamic and hypophyseal hormones... View More
Parkinsonism; epilepsy, allergy, angle-closure glaucoma, benign prostatic hyperplasia; severe cardiac or hepatic disease; extremes in temp (hot and cold... View More
Extrapyramidal symptoms Akathisia,Dystonia,Muscle stiffness,Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS; infrequent but serious),Parkinsonism,Tardive dyskinesi... View More
Carbamazepine and rifampicin reduce plasma concentrations. Symptoms of CNS depression may be enhanced by CNS depressants e.g. alcohol, hypnotics, genera... View More
Alternative brand for Perigen 5
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not... View More