Comtan 200 mg200mg
Novartis (Bangladesh) Ltd.
Additional OffersShow all
Comtan 200 mg may cause excessive drowsiness with alcohol.
CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR
Comtan 200 mg may be unsafe to use during pregnancy. Although there are limited studies in humans, animal studies have shown harmful effects on the deve... View More
CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR
Comtan 200 mg is probably unsafe to use during breastfeeding. Limited human data suggests that the drug may pass into the breastmilk and harm the baby.
Comtan 200 mg may cause dizziness or weakness due to low blood pressure. Do not drive if these symptoms occur.
SAFE IF PRESCRIBED
Comtan 200 mg is probably safe to use in patients with kidney disease. Limited data available suggests that dose adjustment of Comtan 200 mg may not be ... View More
Comtan 200 mg is probably unsafe to use in patients with liver disease and should be avoided. Please consult your doctor.
Comtan 200 mg is a prescription medicine used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. This medicine helps to treat excessive shaking by slowing down th... View More
Uses of Comtan 200 mg
- Parkinson's disease
Side effects of Comtan 200 mg
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
- Increased sweating
- Urine discoloration
- Muscle coordination impaired
- Ischemic heart disease
- Heart attack
- Abdominal pain
- Dryness in mouth
How to use Comtan 200 mg
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. Comtan 200 mg may be taken... View More
How Comtan 200 mg works
Comtan 200 mg is a selective reversible inhibitor which is given in combination with levodopa. It works by inhibiting a chemical messenger [catechol-O-m... View More
What if you forget to take Comtan 200 mg?
If you miss a dose of Comtan 200 mg, skip it and continue with your normal schedule. Do not double the dose.
- You have been prescribed Comtan 200 mg to enhance the effectiveness of levodopa for treatment of Parkinson's disease.
- It can make you very sleepy. Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Inform your doctor if you develop impulsive, unusual behavior and/or an abnormally high sex drive.
- Talk to your doctor in case you develop hallucinations or other changes in your behavior.
- It is common to have diarrhea with this drug. Therefore, drink plenty of fluids and watch for weight loss.
- Do not get worried if you notice a reddish-brown discoloration in your urine as it is harmless in nature.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor.
May be taken with or without food.
Oral Adjunct to levodopa treatment in Parkinson's disease Adult: 200 mg w/ each levodopa/dopa decarboxylase inhibitor dose. Max: 200 mg 10 times daily... View More
Renal Impairment Dose adjustment not necessary
History of neuroleptic malignant syndrome and nontraumatic rhabdomyolysis. Phaeochromocytoma. Hepatic impairment.
Mode of Action
Entacapone is a selective, reversible, peripheral inhibitor of COMT, an enzyme involved in the metabolism of dopamine and levodopa. It is used in patien... View More
Levodopa-induced orthostatic hypotension may be aggravated. Abrupt withdrawal. Concomitant use with a selective MAO-A and MAO-B inhibitor, or concomitan... View More
>10% Dyskinesia (25%),Nausea (14%),Diarrhea (10%),Hyperkinesia (10%),Urine discoloration (10%) 1-10% Hypokinesia (9%),Dizziness (8%),Abdominal pain... View More
Pregnancy Category Note
Pregnancy Category: C Lactation: excretion in milk unknown; use with caution
Drugs metabolised by COMT e.g. adrenaline, apomorphine, dobutamine, dopamine, isoprenaline, methyldopa, noradrenaline and remiterol. Iron preparations a... View More
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not... View More