Drug International Ltd.
Additional OffersShow all
It is not known whether it is safe to consume alcohol with Feripon 500. Please consult your doctor.
Feripon 500 is unsafe to use during pregnancy as there is definite evidence of risk to the developing baby. However, the doctor may rarely prescribe it ... View More
Feripon 500 is probably unsafe to use during breastfeeding. Limited human data suggests that the drug may pass into the breastmilk and harm the baby.
It is not known whether Feripon 500 alters the ability to drive. Do not drive if you experience any symptoms that affect your ability to concentrate and... View More
There is limited information available on the use of Feripon 500 in patients with kidney disease. Please consult your doctor. Regular monitoring of kidn... View More
There is limited information available on the use of Feripon 500 in patients with liver disease. Please consult your doctor. Regular monitoring of liver... View More
Feripon 500 is a medicine used in the treatment of chronic iron overload caused due to frequent blood transfusion. It helps removes excess iron and redu... View More
Uses of Feripon 500
- Iron overload
- Transfusion dependent thalassemia
Side effects of Feripon 500
- Abdominal pain
- Joint pain
How to use Feripon 500
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Do not chew, crush or break it. Feripon 500 may be taken with or without food, bu... View More
How Feripon 500 works
Feripon 500 traps and removes excess iron which is then excreted mainly in the stools. This reduces the risk of organ damage.
What if you forget to take Feripon 500?
If you miss a dose of Feripon 500, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to yo... View More
- Seek immediate medical attention if you see symptoms of fever, sore throat, or flu as deferiprone can cause neutropenia (a decrease in white blood cells... View More
- Take precautions as deferiprone can lower the ability of your body to fight infections. Your blood will need to be tested weekly while you are taking th... View More
- Deferiprone may result in urine that is reddish-brown in color. This side effect is normal and usually not harmful.
- Take medical advice if you also have upper stomach pain, clay-colored stools, or jaundice (yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes).
- Tell your doctor if you suffer from dizziness, palpitations, light-headedness, syncope, or seizures after taking deferiprone.
Thalassaemia, Iron overload
May be taken with or without food.
Transfusional Iron Overload Iron chelator indicated for treatment of transfusional iron overload caused by thalassemia syndromes when current chelation... View More
Agranulocytosis, pregnancy and lactation.
Mode of Action
Deferiprone is an orally effective iron-chelating agent. It is being used when desferrioxamine is unsuitable or contraindicated.
Hepatic and renal impairment. Neutropenia, monitor neutrophil count wkly and discontinue treatment if neutropenia develops. Limited experience in childr... View More
>10% Chromaturia (14.6%),Nausea (12.6%),Abdominal pain/discomfort (10.4%) 1-10% Arthralgia (9.8%),Vomiting (9.8%),Increased ALT (7.5%),Decreased ne... View More
Pregnancy Category Note
Pregnancy Limited available data with use in pregnant women are insufficient to inform a drug-associated risk of major birth defects and miscarriage ... View More
Avoid using deferiprone with aluminium-containing antacids as it can chelates trivalent metal ions.
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not... View More